Wednesday 13 November 2013

Czech Traditions and a Pinch of Whimsy Combine to make Pottery with Personality

Growing up in culturally and artistically rich Prague, Marketa Stastna found creative outlets at an early age. Over the years she tried her hand at various traditional crafts, everything from knitting and crocheting to sewing and jewelry making.  She even tried pottery as a child, making lopsided pieces only a parent could love.  Then, much like those early masterpieces, she shelved the idea of making pottery.

But she just couldn't stay away from the clay. After moving from Calgary to Ottawa, Marketa decided to try her hand at the pottery wheel again. “I began to truly hone my craft and find my style,” she says. “I try to bring a little childlike magic and whimsy to every pottery piece I make.  Whether it’s a miniature fisherman perched atop a bowl or a bird’s nest settled into the crevice of a mug’s handle, I try to intrigue and entertain with my pieces.”

Marketa will be peddling her personality-filled pottery in the vendor tent at our Old-Fashioned Christmas – Art & Craft Sale on December 1st. Who wouldn’t love to find a piece of whimsy under their tree this Christmas?

Find out more about Marketa’s Creations by visiting her Facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. BEAUTIFUL! Your pottery makes me smile. All the best,
    Leeny,

    ReplyDelete